Translate

Monday, October 15, 2012

To Mini or not to Mini

That is the question. Should I get a "iPad Mini" for my mother? It's a little early to ask that question, as there has been nothing announced, but there is a need to plan. I want to get something for her by Thanksgiving. American Thanksgiving.

She is almost 80 years old. She has a 1st generation iPod Touch, which she uses to Facebook, play games and read. But the OS is 3.1.3 and because it is so old, most apps can't be updated. Also, battery life is poor. It was always poor, now just getting worse. Now, we could get her an iPhone/smartphone, but I think she is better off with a phone that is just a phone.

I like the idea of the "iPad Mini" for her. The bigger 7.85" screen would be better for her then the new iPod Touch. It has to be as light as the new Nooks HD (11.1 oz/ 315 g). It also must have the same rear camera as the 5th generation iPod Touch, with LED flash. And front camera for FaceTime and Skype. The screen is not expected to be a "Retina" display, but "Retina" is just a made up term and overrated.

No camera with LED flash, no deal. It that is the case , we will get the 5th generation iPod Touch, red, 32 GB. $299 US. It has a 5 MP camera with LED flash. And a front facing camera.

Why an iOS device for her? All her grandchildren have either an iPhone or an iPod Touch.

My siblings and I are buying this gift for her. I'm too cheap.

Picture from store.apple.com

No comments:

Post a Comment