Translate

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Remote Media Player

A bad name for a good app. "Remote Media Player" is an app in App World, by Jesus Iglesias and xApps.es. It plays audio and video files. It says it can play SRT subtitles. But what I like about this player is that it can remember last point played in a video. So I bought it for $1.99. I think I will be using this as my main video player.

Biggest failing is that you can't control the volume on the touch screen. You do have the option to control the volume using the physical volume control, but I would like to control it using a touch screen.


You can get a free remote for the player. In Google Play, there is PBRemoteDroid for Android devices. In App World, the is "Remote Control for Media Player " for PlayBooks and BB10 devices. I have only my one PlayBook, so I installed the remote and the player to it. It can use the remote to control the player, but I can see only the remote or the player, not both at the same time. But it works, as I can fast forward or reverse in 30 second intervals. XApps.es list an iOS app, but I couldn't find one at this point.

I say it has a bad name because it is confusing. It is a media player that you can get remotes for. I think people will get the remotes and not know what they are for and give them bad reviews. At least the remotes are free.

This is a screen shot from Google Play of the remote


2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm the developer of Remote Media Player.

    I have to say I had not expected anybody to use this app like a "desktop" video player, I thought it as the whole package app+remote control, that's why the name and everything you comment.

    Reading your comments, it might be useful for other users if everything could be done from desktop or from remote control, it would be easy.

    I'll try tu publish an update ASAP.
    I'm open to any suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dude!

    Just to let you know, Remote Media Player update is now available with two of your suggestions:
    -Volume control on app
    -30seg back/forward on app

    So I think you will be able to completely use it without the remote control.

    I have also changed the remote control to support volume control, but I have now realized you can't control volume when connected through HDMI, so I think I will never release it, it has no sense. What to you think?

    Let me know any issue !

    ReplyDelete