Translate

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rolling with Life

Been playing with iOS6, on my mother's iPad Mini, with Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my HTC One V (which also has HTC Sense), and the BlackBerry PlayBook (which is supposed to be similar to RIM's BB10). Have not tried Windows Phone 7 or 8. Nor have I tried Android 4.1 or 4.2 (the two version of Jelly Bean).

My favorite OS has to be the BlackBerry PlayBook. I'm not rating the whole ecosystem, just the OS. I like the whole swiping thing. I like that 99.99% of the time, I don't need to use any physical button or rocker. To wake up the PlayBook. To adjust the volume.

Since I use the PlayBook to watch videos, I like that the native video player plays a lot of different video formats- wmv, avi, mkv, mp4 and the other m style formats (mov, m4v, etc). And with the app, Remote Media Player, I have a resume feature and a limited fast forward and reverse. Life is good.

iOS6 is alright. Like AirPrint, very easy to print from the iPad Mini. Like AirPlay. I love the iPod portion of iOS devices. I think it is the best media player. I know it plays a very restricted video container, and you need to use iTunes to put videos onto the iPod media player, but I enjoy using it to watch videos. Because Apple products are popular, videos and software are easy to find for them.

Android on my HTC seems like an OS from Frankenstein. Like it is a little of this, a little of that. I understand that with Android, I can tailor it towards the way I would like it. I can tinker to the way it fits me. But do I care? No. Do many people care? I don't know. I have seen other people's wallpapers and I find it makes the screen harder to decipher information. Playing videos on the HTC One V is been a crapshoot. I still have not found the right player. I keep reading on what is great about Android is that the media players can play anything, but I still have not found one.

Life goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment