Translate

Saturday, January 5, 2013

VoIP Now

Found a Google Play gift card at a brick and mortar WalMart. I got the $10 card, as I needed to buy a $2.99 app. Other card values were available, up to $50.

The app I bought is called Spare Phone. What it does, for my Android HTC One V, is let me make free VoIP calls over wifi. You do need a Google Voice account, so this is good only USA and Canada, I think. I don't live in Canada, so can't be sure if this works there. The app does cost $2.99, hence the need for a payment method.

I have attempted and was able to make a phone call. The call went fine. The sound on my end was good. As far as the other end goes, the receiver didn't say anything bad, neither did he say anything good about sound quality.

From what I have read, free calls are good for all of 2013. This will also work on a Android tablet that has a microphone. Will come in handy as I forget my phone a lot.

Spare Phone

Edit: Canada can't get Google Voice accounts. Google Voice accounts can call in the USA and Canada. Sorry for any confusion. People have made accounts using proxies, but I really don't know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment