Translate

Friday, September 28, 2012

I Want My SMS

My PlayBook sort of replaces my iPod Touch. I still use my Touch, a 1st generation, to listen to music and audio podcasts. I like the Touch for audio because it is easier to put in my pocket when walking. But for most everything else I use the PlayBook. Things like web surfing, paying bill, watching TV and buying things online. I read most of the news from the PlayBook too. I sometimes listen to Pandora thru the browser, playing thru the PlayBook's two speaker. It makes for a convenient radio.

But what it couldn't do was SMS or texting. On the iPod Touch, I have various apps that can do sms and mms (sending pictures). My favorite is Pinger/TextFree. But I'm mostly on the PlayBook and not on the Touch. Then I remembered Google Voice, what was once called Grand Central. I'm not sure if it is available only in the USA. Maybe Canada. But from my browser, I can now text. Which I now need, as my cell phone's screen is unreadable.

My phone contract ends in 2 months, so I will wait for a new phone. But, I may port my current cell number to Google Voice and get a new number for my cell phone. Google Voice gives you a 10 digit number, but they have no numbers with my area code. This will give me a Google Voice number with my area code, though there is a $20 fee to port the number. My current Google Voice number is my old home number with a different area code, very easy for me to remember.

Anyone can sign up for a Google Voice account and number using their gmail account, if they are from the United States, maybe Canada. Not sure about everybody else, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment