Translate

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nook Is Here

Nook HD+ arrived this past Friday. Was surprised by the speed of delivery, as shipping was free. Charged it that night and played with it yesterday,  Saturday. I put some videos on it and I was very disappointed.

The problem is that the Nook HD + screen is bigger and has a pixel density of 256 PPI. Most of my videos are not 720p HDTV quality, as those files are bigger. There is no need to view that file quality on the PlayBook, as you would not really get an improvement in viewing quality. But on the Nook, the videos I loaded onto it looked terrible, you can see the pixels. So now I need better quality videos. And that will take time.

As for as screen color rendition, I find the PlayBook produces nicer whites. Or, it could just be brighter then the Nook. Overall, the Nook's color look better.

The best thing about the PlayBook are the two front facing speakers. Why more devices don't come with front facings speakers is strange. I enjoy watching videos and not using headphones. The speaker on the Nook is on the back. At times, I have covered the speaker with my hand.

The Nook is light for its size. For me, it's comfortable holding for extended periods, better then the PlayBook. I think the larger size of the Nook distributes the weight better, but the PlayBook is heavy for its size.

At this time, I still like the PlayBook better. I like the UI on the PlayBook a lot, it is easy to learn. It seems more natural, intuitive. The native browser is slower, but I know what it can do. I need to play with the Nook more to learn what it can do. What I do find with Android, you have to try things, to figure out which will work. It will take time.


No comments:

Post a Comment