Translate

Friday, July 20, 2012

PlayBook Video Player

One of the best things about the PlayBook is the native video player. It plays wmv, avi, mkv, mkv, mp4 and m4v that I know for sure. Never read what it can play, but I have played these file extensions on my PlayBook.  I know for sure that PBs will not play ac3 audio files, so avi and wmv will play, but your will not have sound. The others will not play at all. Media not supported.

AC3 is a audio format from Dolby Laboratory. If the RIM wanted the PlayBook be able to decode ac3, they would have to buy a license for every device they sold that could play ac3. But on a tablet?  It could never play ac3, in 5.1 surround sound.

But it is not like an iPad or an android tablet could play it either. Not with their native video player. Yes, there are app work around in iOS and Android. But I'm just talking about the native player.

From my understanding, when iTunes sells you a HD movie, they put a aac and a ac3 track on you movie. Your iOS device will pass through the ac3 code and you television would decode it. If it can.

All movies that will play on an iPad should play on the PlayBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment