Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chromecast Needs Good Internet

Chromecast seems interesting, and at $35, seems like a steal. But the more I look at it, the more I don't like it. The first thing I don't like about it - it doesn't support the BlackBerry PlayBook. Again, not much of anything supports the PlayBook.

The biggest drawback, for me, is that it requires the Internet. As my service can drop to very slow speeds at times, I hate streaming videos. Watching YouTube videos can be annoying, choppy and always buffering. If I had better service, then maybe.

You really can't use it for traveling. If you go to a hotel, you would need Wifi and Internet access. And it seems maybe an ac adapter. The Chromecast dongle needs a little power, some HDMI ports can power the device, some can't.

It won't playback media stored on your device. This is a Google product. Google believes everyone should live in the cloud. I don't live in the cloud. I don't. I have no friends, so I don't need to save my contacts in the cloud. I don't take pictures. I don't need a calendar. I don't have mobile Internet, as I don't have a data plan for my phone. I just don't need it. Nor can I afford it.

It doesn't  do much right now, I think only 4 apps can use it at this time. It may get more apps, but that is what they said about the PlayBook . Remember, buy what it is right now, not what it may one day be.

But it is just $35.

No comments:

Post a Comment